Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Now Playing: MARCH 28, 1962

What's new in Pittsburgh today? What you choose to see depends on your mood. Feeling serious?



I've seen Clint Eastwood's version of the Ira Hayes story in Flags of Our Fathers, and that was pretty bleak -- but Hayes was only part of that story. A whole film about Hayes could be hard to take, but this is widely considered to be one of Tony Curtis's greatest roles. It's one of those movies I'm sure I saw when I was a kid, but I really remember nothing about it. Until it turns up again, here's the trailer, uploaded by skipjackturner.



Feeling less serious? Feeling frisky, instead -- or maybe a wee bit avant-garde? Try this double-bill.



This is the second time so far in 1962 that I've seen Jean-Luc Godard's seminal new-wave film relegated to second-feature status. To be fair, this probably isn't the film's first time in Pittsburgh, but I have to wonder what the audience for Lust for the Sun would have made of Breathless. Still, we can only wonder at the cosmopolitan cinemagoing experience any large city might offer: the nouvelle vague and a Swiss nudist film all for the cost of one ticket. What a world, what a world....

No comments: